Berquam proposes additional mental health resources

Vice Provost for Student Life and Dean of Students Lori Berquam updated student government leaders Tuesday about Division of Student Life initiatives, including the proposed addition of two temporary staff members to assist in mental health advising.

Berquam told members of the Associated Students of Madison Coordinating Council there has been an increase in students requesting mental health support services, as well as an increase in the number of suicides on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, which is usually third or fourth in the number of suicides among Big Ten schools. She added the university averages one suicide per semester and has already seen two this semester.

Berquam said she thought the increase might stem from more students entering the university with previously diagnosed conditions, as well as an increasing amount of veterans on campus who frequently suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

According to Berquam, her office is hoping the two additional staff will serve more students, although hiring them could put the office’s budget “in the red.”

“I would much rather have students come forward than suffer in silence,” Berquam said.

Additionally, the Division of Student Life is working on a Preferred Name Policy, which would allow students to enter an alternate name to appear on class rosters and Wiscards.

Berquam said implementing the policy has proved difficult because of complications with legal names being necessary on financial aid and tax papers.

However, Berquam said student support has been very strong, including among transgender and international students, as well as others who have said they would feel more comfortable using a different name.  

Berquam said she is looking for a few students to test the policy next semester, and if it goes well she hopes to have the campuswide option ready for fall 2013.

ASM’s Diversity Committee has also been campaigning for the policy.