Tammy Baldwin to speak at Obama rally Thursday

U.S. Senate candidate Tammy Baldwin will join President Barack Obama for a campaign event on Bascom Hill Thursday that is expected to draw thousands of supporters.

Baldwin told supporters in an email Tuesday she is excited to join the president and talk about their “shared vision of building a progressive nation from the middle class out.”

Like the Presidential election in Wisconsin, the U.S. Senate race between Baldwin and former Gov. Tommy Thompson is a hotly-contested, nationally-significant race. The outcome could decide which party controls the Senate, so national groups are pouring campaign funds into the state.

The most recent Marquette University poll shows Baldwin and Thompson still in a close battle, with Baldwin pulling slightly ahead.

As each campaign jockeys for votes, joint appearances by the presidential and senate candidates can benefit both campaigns and have become the norm in Wisconsin.

As the latest example of join campaigning, the Thompson campaign announced Tuesday vice presidential candidate and Wisconsin native Paul Ryan will hold a fundraiser for Thompson, whose campaign is struggling for funds, in Milwaukee later this month.