Bo Ryan

Over 1,600 UW-Madison students attended the Charity Stripe Fundraiser hosted by men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan to raise money and awareness for cancer research.

Students show up to ‘make Bo pay’

University of Wisconsin-Madison men’s basketball coach Bo Ryan issued the Charity Stripe Challenge to UW-Madison students Thursday, and over 1600 responded to “Make Bo Pay.”

Ryan and his wife will donate over $40,000 for cancer research after students met Ryan’s challenge by showing up in crowds to the Kohl Center.

Students had the opportunity to fight cancer simply by showing up to the event, as Ryan donated $1 to Coaches vs. Cancer/American Cancer Society for every student that attended. Students could also make Ryan pay more by making baskets, $10 for every free throw made and $1,000 for a half court shot.

In addition to helping fight cancer, students could win free men’s basketball season tickets, Badger gear and raffle prizes including autographed basketballs and $250 Best Buy gift cards. Members of the men’s basketball team also made an appearance.  

Ryan said he hosted the event because he and his wife have been “fortunate in life” and wanted to give back. He said the students made the event unforgettable.

“This has been better than we ever dreamed,” Ryan said. “We had no idea that we would get this kind of turnout.”

Junior guard Ben Brust said he appreciates Ryan hosting the event, since many students are affected by cancer in some way.

“To be man enough to take money that you’ve worked hard for your whole life and to put it to something that can benefit other families in the future, it’s a really cool thing,” Brust said. “I’m sure it means a lot to people who came here and I know it means a lot to me.”

While Ryan may have ended up paying more than he expected, he said he is happy to write the check because the world needs a cure for cancer.

“We gotta find a way to beat this thing,” Ryan said. “And here’s one way, make a couple shots.”