SSFC approves funding for campus leadership organization

The Associated Students of Madison’s Student Services Finance Committee approved funding for the Student Leadership Program Monday.

Although many student organizations have received cuts to their funding requests, the SLP, an organization committed to strengthening a student’s leadership skills, will receive $64,984, a 2.5 percent increase from its budget last year.

Even with this increase, SLP’s funding request was passed by a 12-0 vote.

According to SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker, the committee found the budget to be “very fiscally responsible.”

Bruecker said the committee was further reassured by the group’s continued commitment to not asking for more than it needs.

Also in the meeting, the committee heard budget proposals from Sex Out Loud, a student organization whose workshops and campus-wide events seek to promote healthy sexuality through sex-positive education and activism, and F.H. King, an organization dedicated to educating students on sustainable agriculture.

Both organizations have asked for small increases in their 2013-’14 budgets.

Sex Out Loud representatives said the group requested the increase in order to attend an educational conference to provide better quality services for the student body.

F.H. King representatives said the group is looking to add the position of an urban agriculture assistant to help counterbalance the increasing demand the organization is receiving, especially concerning home-sustainability projects.

Bruecker said the SSFC will be “looking into” the small additions each organization has requested. However, she said both budgets looked “responsible.”

SSFC will vote on F.H. King and Sex out Loud’s budgets in their meeting Nov. 1.