Senate debate gets heated over Iran

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and former Republican Gov. Tommy Thompson, the state’s candidates for U.S. Senate, went head to head Thursday night in an occasionally feisty debate held at the University of Wisconsin-Marathon in Wausau.

The debate came one day after a Marquette University Law School Poll showed the two candidates in a virtual tie, with one debate left and only 19 days until the election.

Baldwin and Thompson tussled over the economy, the federal deficit and healthcare, but one of the most hostile exchanges came when the two candidates debated over Iran.

While both said they did not want Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon, Thompson called Baldwin out for not being tough enough on the country and accepting $60,000 in campaign money from a group that allegedly opposes sanctions on Iran.

Baldwin then fired back at Thompson, accusing him of owning stock in a company that helps mine uranium in Iran. However, Thompson said he found out about the stock Thursday morning and sold it immediately.

“I don’t agree with anyone doing business with Iran,” Thompson said.

During the exchange, Thompson cut off Baldwin and said, “You want to interrupt me, Joe Biden?,” a reference to last week’s vice presidential debate during which Republicans felt Vice President Biden inappropriately cut off his opponent Paul Ryan. The comment drew groans from the crowd of around 350.

The debate format included “un-moderated” portions that encouraged the candidates to engage directly with each other. Baldwin took these opportunities to portray Thompson as a Washington insider and lobbyist, while Thompson painted Baldwin as one of the most liberal members of Congress who has “voted to raise taxes 155 times.”

College Republicans Chair Jeff Snow said while Thursday’s debate may not have a huge impact on the race, “there is Republican momentum in general right now in regards to the election in Wisconsin” that will help win over the 3 percent of undecided voters.

Snow’s counterpart, College Democrats Chair Chris Hoffman, said voter turnout will be key come election day, and Baldwin did a good job appealing to Democratic constituents Thursday night.

“Were going to have to turn out as much of the base as possible across the state,” Hoffman said. “That’s what’s going to win it.”