Obama, Romney cancel Wisconsin stops due to hurricane

Both President Barack Obama and his opponent Gov. Mitt Romney cancelled their visits to Wisconsin this week due to Hurricane Sandy wrecking havoc in the Northeast, according to releases from both candidates’ campaigns.

For Romney and Obama, campaigning in Wisconsin this week would have been one last push to attract voters in the battleground state.

Obama canceled his Tuesday campaign visit in Green Bay to remain in the Oval Office to monitor Hurricane Sandy, which broke ground on the East Coast Monday evening, according to an Obama campaign release.

“I am not worried at this point about the impact on the election,” Obama said in footage from a press conference Monday. “I’m worried about the impact on families, first responders, economy and transportation.”

Romney also canceled his campaign visit to the Milwaukee area Monday evening due to the storm, but his running mate, Paul Ryan, still intends to return to his home in Janesville Wednesday to continue campaigning in Wisconsin.

“Romney believes this is a time for the nation and its leaders to come together to focus on those Americans who are in harm’s way,” Romney for President Communications Director Dail Gitcho said in a statement.

Former President Bill Clinton is scheduled to speak in Wisconsin later this week to campaign for Obama. Officials have yet to release more concrete details.

Both candidates visited Wisconsin in past months, with Obama visiting the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus Oct.4 and Romney visiting De Pere Sept. 12.