Logan’s faces possible loss of liquor license

The city of Madison’s attorney’s office could revoke Logan’s Madtown Restaurant and Bar’s liquor license after the downtown establishment, located at 322 W. Johnson St., failed an audit requested by the Madison Police Department.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said under the Alcohol License Density Ordinance and the specific conditions of its liquor license, 50 percent of Logan’s profits must come from food and non-alcoholic beverages in order to meet the city’s definition of a restaurant.  

But Budget and Audit Manager Debra Simon concluded that from May 2011 to May 2012, 67 percent of Logan’s revenue came from alcohol while only 33 percent came from food and non-alcoholic beverages.

Verveer said because the primary source of income comes from alcohol sales, the city could give Logan’s the “death penalty” by revoking its liquor license, which would make it illegal to sell alcohol.  

This is the first time the city has attempted to revoke a liquor license because an establishment has failed to operate as a restaurant, according to Verveer.

General Manager Adam Mais will come before the Alcohol License Review Committee Wednesday for an initial appearance. A sub-committee will review the issue before the ALRC votes on revocation in mid-November.

ALRC members and Madison police officers toured a number of downtown bars Friday night, and Verveer said many establishments could be in violation of their liquor licenses.

“Logan’s was not the only establishment that we toured Friday night that is required to be a bona fide restaurant that did not look like a bona fide restaurant,” Verveer said.