Gasser to miss 2012-'13 season with torn ACL

Junior guard Josh Gasser will miss the 2012-’13 season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in practice Saturday.

According to a news release from the UW athletic department, Gasser will be re-evaluated this week and will likely undergo surgery shortly thereafter. The Port Washington, Wis., native will redshirt this season and have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Head coach Bo Ryan had said at the Big Ten’s media day in Chicago Thursday that Gasser would enter the year as Wisconsin’s starting point guard.

“I’m very pleased with what [Gasser] has done and how the guys have rallied around him,” Ryan said Thursday. “Maybe not the point guards that we have had with Hughes and Taylor that can beat you off the bounce, low to the ground, real thick shoulder-type guys, but Josh is a different point guard.

“Defensively, he is so much better at this point than a lot of the other guards that we’ve had at the point, because of his length,” Ryan added.

With Gasser out for the year, the Badgers will likely turn to either redshirt freshman guard George Marshall or sophomore guard Traevon Jackson at the point guard position.

Gasser’s injury is the second blow to Wisconsin’s starting lineup, as senior forward Mike Bruesewitz suffered a laceration on his right leg Oct. 9 and is expected to miss the start of the regular season.