Elections heat up with start of early voting

The eyes of the nation are watching closely to see who Wisconsin will vote for Nov. 6. But as of Monday, Wisconsinites can begin casting ballots early, upping the ante for campaigns battling over what seems to be an evenly divided electorate.

Historically, early votes have constituted a significant portion of total votes cast. The percentage of voters voting via absentee ballot, or early voters, jumped from about 6 percent in 2000, to about 12 percent in 2004, to more than 21 percent in 2008, according to a Government Accountability Board report. The trend is consistent with voting habits nationwide.

But GAB spokesperson Reid Magney said he does not expect this election cycle to see a significant increase in early votes, as was the case for the past three elections, because this year there is less time for early voting.

“We’re working with a compressed period of time; two weeks instead of three plus weeks [in 2008],” Magney said, adding voters could see longer lines at polling locations Nov. 6 because of the shorter amount of time people have to vote absentee.

Still, state and national campaigns are not understating the importance of early voting. When President Barack Obama visited Bascom Hill earlier this month, he repeatedly urged supporters not only to vote, “but vote early.”

On Saturday, Janna Ryan, the wife of Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan, campaigned in Racine as part of the Commit to Mitt early voting bus tour.

Additionally, several groups on campus, including the Student Vote Coalition, the Wisconsin Public Interest and Research Group, and other partisan groups, have also been actively promoting early voting.

Wisconsin is one of 35 states that allows early voting, and while Monday is the first day Wisconsinites can cast a ballot, many states have already begun in-person voting. North Carolinians have been able to vote since Sept. 6.

“Different states have different methods, it depends upon their own traditions and history,” Magney said. “And Wisconsin has always attempted to make voting accessible to as many qualified voters as possible.”

In 2000, Wisconsin moved away from requiring an excuse, such as being out of the state on election day, to vote absentee to allowing anyone to vote early, either by mail absentee ballots or in the clerk’s office.

Registered voters in Madison who wish to vote early must do so at the City Clerk’s office from 8 a.m to 7 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27, and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 28.