Dishonored screen shot

Set in the fictional town of Dunwall, “Dishonored” brings to mind London during the Industrial Revolution, yet perhaps with more weaponry and magic to assist you in your assassinations.

Different angles develop 'Dishonored' in latest Arkane release

The idea of combining satisfying first-person melee combat with extensive player choice to accomplish objectives sounds superlative on paper. Yet these two core tenets synthesize the essence of Arkane Studio’s recent release,“Dishonored.” No one ever doubted Arkane’s game had all the elements for a potentially fantastic new intellectual property, all that was left to be seen of these lofty promises was whether they could execute them or not.

Some technical performance and story quibbles aside, Arkane’s final product is a masterful blend of “Deus Ex” style branching paths mixed with visceral first-person combat that blends inventive supernatural powers with impressive swordplay.

Set in the imaginary town of Dunwall, players control Corvo, former Lord Protector of the Empress before her assassination. Wrongly accused for her murder, Corvo is sentenced to death before escaping into the dreary pathways below the city six months later.

Dunwall is incredibly detailed. It is a fictional city in the midst of an industrial revolution, which is due to the recent discovery of whale oil as a primary fuel source. Dunwall’s oppressive atmosphere contributes to the beautiful aesthetics of “Dishonored,” but sadly this deeply realized world is complemented by a hollow story and shallow characters.

Although Corvo’s tale of revenge against the usurped regime has some unexpected turns, it never expands beyond a fairly standard series of assassination missions. Additionally, none of the characters are fleshed out very well, so players have little motivation to kill the laundry list of antagonists; as a result, any emotional impact or satisfaction for the player is rendered meaningless.

The actual assassinations may not provide the catharsis players are searching for, but the mechanics and myriad of ways they can dispose of their targets is the standout feature of “Dishonored.” Whether players want to stealthily assassinate every enemy or run in, guns blazing and sword drawn, every mission can be approached from a different angle.

Combat revolves around melee combat that relies heavily on blocking and counter-attacking. Your left hand sports either a ranged weapon or one of the various supernatural powers at your disposal. The bow and pistol are useful in many encounters, but players will most likely be drawn towards the expansive combinations of powers they can utilize.

Corvo gains his powers after a visit from the mysterious Outsider. They are unlocked by collecting runes throughout the levels, but with only a limited amount of these precious resources, players will have to choose which powers best suit their play style for that run through.

Some powers provide destructive melee attacks or powerful elemental abilities, while others are better suited for stealth such as Blink, which teleports players a short distance, or Bend Time, which gives players a chance for quick assassinations or to slip by unnoticed as time stands still.

The implementation of these powers in tandem gives players lots of opportunities for creative kills. While I expect far more ingenuous uses by others in the future, one satisfying example was when I slowed time, possessed an opposing soldier and placed him in the pathway of his comrade’s bullet that violently disposed of his head when time returned to normal.

This creativity carries over to the multitude of pathways players experience during each mission. With side entrances, sewer paths, areas accessible only by possessing an animal or rooftop hatches, “Dishonored” never fails to provide players with a new way to approach their current mission.

All of these mechanics work really well most of the time throughout the experience, however, there are certain times when assassination inputs are fairly finicky and my powers wouldn’t respond exactly how I had hoped. Luckily this was only a minor portion of the game and for the most part the many systems Arkane has implemented work without a hiccup.

“Dishonored” only consists of nine levels but players who rush through are doing themselves a disservice by missing out on the multiple layers instilled in every mission throughout the game. Every level has a bountiful amount of collectibles and new locations to discover, along with a dizzying array of ways to approach each combat scenario and major assassination.

Promising ambitious goals since its announcement, “Dishonored” delivers a rewarding experience different from almost any other game on the market. Although the story and characters fail to immerse players like the fully realized world they inhabit, “Dishonored” will keep players coming back either to explore one of the many routes they skipped over or just to enjoy the sadistic satisfaction that accompanies a perfectly executed assassination.

Grade: A-

Want Adam to review another game? Send him your suggestions at arparis@wisc.edu.