bassett 10112012

The proposed plan to build an apartment complex in an empty lot at 306 W. Main St. includes the expansion of an existing parking ramp in an adjacent property if approved by city officials.

Community concerns spark changes to apartment plan

Developers presented an updated plan for a downtown apartment complex at a Bassett Neighborhood meeting Wednesday, including modifications that address previous community concerns about the project.

The proposed apartment building would be constructed on a currently vacant lot at 306 W. Main St., a few blocks away from the Capitol. The Alexander Company presented an updated proposal in response to concerns about traffic volume, green space and lighting neighborhood residents and city officials raised about the project over the summer.

The building would stand 11 stories tall and include 176 apartments, each ranging in size from 650 to 2000 square feet. Portions of the roof would include green space after neighborhood residents suggested the developer create an environmentally conscious infrastructure.

Additionally, the proposal includes a courtyard that would be open to the public.

Original plans included condominiums in the structure, but developers modified the design of the rental units to be high-end luxury apartments aimed at young professionals.

At the meeting, neighborhood residents expressed concern about the street congestion that would result from increased housing in the area.

“The main concern that people have is parking and traffic,” said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

The project plans include expanding an existing parking garage adjacent to where the new structure would be built. According to Alexander Company President Joe Alexander, the maximum occupancy of the building would not exceed available parking spots.

Verveer also said there has been community concern about construction destroying trees by the street as well as a possible lack of sidewalk lighting near the building.

However, Alexander said he hopes to gain approval to add more trees and pedestrian lighting to the area.

Verveer said the neighborhood has “warmly received” the project.

“Overall, I think the neighborhood is quite comfortable with the proposed development, but there are still specifics that need to be worked out,” Verveer said.

The City Plan Commission will review the proposal for approval Oct. 15. Final review by the City Council will be in November, with construction expected to begin in Spring 2013.