Committee delays Logan’s hearing on liquor license

City officials granted Logan’s Madtown Restaurant and Bar more time to obtain an attorney before the hearing on possible revocation of its liquor license at a meeting Wednesday.

The Madison attorney’s office will consider revoking Logan’s liquor license, a first for the city according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, after it failed an audit the Madison Police Department requested.

Logan’s general manager Adam Mais asked the Alcohol License Review Committee for additional time to secure legal counsel before the hearing.

In order to meet the conditions of their its license and be considered a restaurant by the city’s definition, Logan’s must earn 50 percent of its profits from non-alcoholic beverages and food.

However, only 33 percent of Logan’s profit from May 2011 to May 2012 came from those sources, according to Budget and Audit Manager Debra Simon.

According to Verveer, the ALRC created a three-person subcommittee to conduct the hearing.

He said no specific date has been set for the hearing yet, but it could be two weeks from now or it could be as late as the second week in November.

The ALRC also approved liquor licenses for three downtown restaurants during the meeting, including A La Brasa, Cheba Hut and Metropolitan Coffee and Wine.

T. Sushi owner Teddy Stevens also sought approval for a liquor license change as part of the expansion of his restaurant. The ALRC denied Stevens’ request because he failed to bring a floor plan of his expansion, but his proposal was placed on the November meeting agenda.