Athletic dept. explains policy: Officials discuss football seating enforcement with student governmen

Officials from the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Athletic Department met with student government leaders at a meeting Thursday to talk about their response to student seating issues in Camp Randall as well as a new incentive program the ticket office is testing for student basketball tickets this season.

Ben Fraser, director of guest services with the athletic department, said they have faced challenges with student section seating at football games in the past, including students sitting in the wrong seats or taking up too much space and non-students sitting in the section.

The athletic department increased enforcement of seating students in the row and section printed on their ticket in response to student season ticket holder feedback in post-game surveys that had pointed out those issues, according to Fraser.

However, Associated Students of Madison Press Office Director David Gardner said the Athletic Department’s approach did not include students, and added parts of student council are setting up meetings between members, university administration and police for further discussion.

Gardner said it is important that students know what decisions university officials are making rather than react to decisions officials have already made. One example, which Gardner said did not originate from a student perspective, is a test program for student basketball season tickets.

This year, students will receive points for being at the game before tipoff or attending more non-conference games, according to Fraser. Those points would determine who gets tickets to the seats closer to the court during the Big 10 season.

Gardner said that the students who are going to the games deserve a voice in relevant decisions.

“From the backlash they’ve gotten on the [football seating policy], they’ll hopefully bring ideas like the reward system forward and students can provide our input on how to improve those,” Gardner said.

Survey results from after last week’s football game showed a change of heart for the first time this season among students, who reported they appreciated the athletic department’s effort to get them into their seats, according to Fraser.

“We do have the best student section in the country,” Fraser said. “We want to make sure you guys have a great experience, and that’s why we’re trying to get people their seating.”