09262012

Overture Center requests $2 million from city

While many thought the final curtain was closing on the Overture Center in 2011 due to financial struggles, Madison’s community arts center has taken center stage once more.

At the first annual Overture Center Foundation board meeting Tuesday, members recounted the past four volatile years of the Overture and stressed the importance of the center’s relationship with the city.

OCF President Ted DeDee said last weekend marked the opening performances of Overture’s resident organizations, which include the Madison Symphony Orchestra and Madison Contemporary Vision Dance.

“I’m looking at it as completing the first major chapter of the book of Overture,” DeDee said.

“Now all of us, with the beginning of the new fiscal year, are beginning a new chapter of the Overture story.”

The Overture began operating Jan. 1 as a private, non-profit group instead of a city-owned and operated organization as it previously had. The committee fundraised $2.4 million during its transition year, according to DeDee.

But while the arts center raised over $2 million, DeDee said the city is vital in supporting the Overture.

Mayor Paul Soglin granted the Overture $1.85 million in the 2012 operating budget. The OCF is requesting $2 million for 2013, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

DeDee said without the requested funds, the building’s maintenance might fall to the wayside and the free and reduced cost Overture programs could be impacted.

“A huge void would occur if the Overture couldn’t live up to its operating performance,” Verveer said.

Soglin will introduce the city’s 2013 operating budget on Oct. 2.