Ordinances invoke opposite reactions

In recent weeks, the city passed two ordinances aiming to improve Madison’s safety and comfort. One, supported by Mayor Paul Soglin, tries to make State Street a more comfortable area by outlawing panhandling, or begging, on its grounds. The other, which lacks the mayor’s support, allows cabs to pick up flagging patrons on the 500 block of State Street between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m.

The city feels begging is an issue that threatens State Street patrons’ comfort, which could decrease business for Madison’s commercial-heavy street. This editorial board is not convinced. In broad daylight during the week, a dense crowd of hundreds of people packs the street. It is hard for us to believe that anyone could, or should, feel more than a slight discomfort around beggars, being that at least five people are generally within touching distance during the day.

As it stands, the ordinance serves one population: people who lack exposure to homelessness and therefore fear that which they do not understand. But for better or worse, panhandling is a part of Madison and State Street culture. Sure, State Street’s homeless may be a more interactive and colorful group than, say, Chicago’s, but since when does colorful equal malicious?

Despite large crowds during the day, we realize crowds thin during weeknights. While we do not feel Madison’s homeless are necessarily violent, we understand people might be nervous walking alone at night given the recent spike in crime. Therefore, we believe the law should be amended to only prohibit panhandling after dark. This would improve the law by making people feel safer at night, when they feel most vulnerable, without unnecessarily punishing panhandler’s for the sake of a few who find them threatening even during the day. Combined with the continued enforcement of laws that prohibit panhandling within 25 feet of ATM machines as well as increased police presence, State Street will feel adequately comfortable.

Furthermore, restricting beggars from State Street forces them to less populated city areas. In such areas, people are less likely to be surrounded by others and would be more likely to feel uneasy around panhandlers.

Perhaps most importantly, the ordinance ignores the primary problem at hand: homelessness is a pervasive problem in Madison. Rather than focusing time, energy and money on preventing discomfort, the city should focus on decreasing homelessness by increasing mental health programs and other initiatives. Last week, the city announced plans to build a new daytime homeless facility, which is a step in the right direction.

Contrary to our disapproval of the panhandling ordinance, we were pleased to learn the city passed a separate ordinance that allows cabs to pick up flagging patrons on State Street’s 500 block between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. As previously mentioned, Madison has experienced a recent spike in crime. Although taxis are not going to solve the problem, they certainly might help. While cabs were previously permitted to pick up patrons who called for their services, it could take 15 to 20 minutes for the cab to arrive. This made toughing it out and walking home late at night, even when alone and/or intoxicated, look like an attractive alternative. Having the ability to hail cabs on State Street puts the emphasis back on convenience, which increases safety.

Yet, there are those who disagree. Mayor Paul Soglin believes taxi traffic on the busy street will pose safety risks. According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, Soglin plans to veto the ordinance and will request the service begins later than 10 p.m. This board believes 10 p.m. is an appropriate time for cabs to begin their State Street service. This is the time that older patrons are finishing dinner and may desire a taxi. Furthermore, we reject the argument that taxis will pose a significant safety threat. Students will quickly adapt to State Street’s newfound traffic and will benefit from the ordinance. Overall, given recent violence, we believe students face more danger by walking home late at night than from oncoming taxis that aim to serve them.

What do you think about the new ordinances proposed by city officials? Let us know what you think by sending in a letter to the editor to opinion@dailycardinal.com.