Mac Miller, Big Gigantic to headline at Freakfest event

When Madison celebrates Freakfest 2012 on State Street Saturday, Oct. 27, University of Wisconsin-Madison students can expect to see Pennsylvanian rap star Mac Miller and electronica collective Big Gigantic take the main stages.

Frank Productions, the company city officials collaborate with in coordinating the event, spent more money this year in recruiting talent than in previous years due to disparagement from UW students, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

“I am really thrilled that Frank Productions has taken to heart the criticism from prior years that the [music] talent was rather sub-par overall,” Verveer said. “I hope this year’s lineup announced today will attract more interest than we’ve seen in recent years.”

Other major acts performing at this year’s Freakfest are Dutch electronic dance band Nobody Beats The Drum, Minneapolis band Roster McCabe, northeastern phenomenon Gentlemen Hall and Kids These Days, a band hailing from Chicago.

New this year is the option to purchase a V.I.P. viewing area ticket, which will allow party-goers to watch performances in prime areas adjacent to the stage on Capitol Square and at Lisa Link Peace Park, according to Verveer. V.I.P. tickets are $35.

Students can purchase tickets at the gate, which opens at 7 p.m., for $12 and also in advance for $8 starting Sept. 14 through ticketmaster, the Frank Productions website or at various business locations on State Street. Business outlets will sell tickets through Friday, Oct. 26.

Business listing map