Democrats urge action on health care law

Democratic state lawmakers sent a letter to Gov. Scott Walker Wednesday asking him to reconsider his decision to delay implementing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act until after the Nov. 6 election.

Under the PPACA, the state must implement a health insurance exchange that is state-based, controlled by the federal government or a joint effort of the state and federal government.

But Walker has harshly criticized the law, calling it potentially “devastating” for Wisconsin because it would raise taxes on some citizens.

The 37 legislators who sent Walker the letter emphasized the state must submit a detailed plan for its state-based health care exchange by Nov. 16, otherwise it will be forced to comply with a federal alternative.

“Allowing a mere 10 days to prepare the exchange blueprint, and provide public input, is simply not enough time,” the letter stated.

Earlier this year, Walker halted work on the state-based health insurance exchange and returned the $38 million intended for the implementation of the new health insurance exchange to the federal government.

But legislators called on Walker Wednesday to restart the work on the plan for a state-based health care insurance exchange.

According to the letter, health insurance exchanges are “the cornerstone” of national health care law. The exchanges are competitive marketplaces designed to lower the price of health care for individuals and small businesses.

“We should be cooperating across party lines and between branches of government to create the required health insurance exchanges so that we are maximizing the opportunity of every Wisconsinite to obtain affordable, quality health care,” the letter said.