Badgers fall in OT to Marquette

The Wisconsin men's soccer team (2-4-3 overall) had little time to recover after a loss last Friday's as they faced Marquette (9-0) Wednesday night. An equalizer by junior midfielder Nick Janus in the 78 minute was not enough as the undefeated Golden Eagles netted the game winner in the 108th minute to win the game 2-1.

The Badgers went down 1-0 in the 37 minute when a cross from midfield connected with Marquette sophomore midfielder Sebastian Jansson. Wisconsin came out of halftime looking slow, and had the crowd anticipating a runaway Marquette victory.

UW did not go down without a fight, however. Needing to spark his offense with less than 20 minutes left in the game, head coach John Trask sent sophomore defender AJ Cochran forward to strengthen the offense. The move paid off.

After it looked like it would be another scoreless evening for the Badgers, Janus scored the first goal for the team in their past three outings. The cross came in from junior forward Toni Ramadani and found Janus, who headed the ball past Marquette goalkeeper Charlie Lyon.

The Badgers went back to their regular formation and carried the momentum forward, but were unable to score on any of their late chances.

The first overtime period ended with only one real chance from the Golden Eagles, which skid off the crossbar and bounced out of bounds. Only two minutes away from a draw, Marquette senior forward Andy Huftalin netted the golden goal in the 108th minute and sent the Badgers back to Madison with their fourth loss of the season.

Freshman Chase Rau made his eighth start for the team and recorded four saves, three of which came in the second half.

Wisconsin will return home to play Cleveland State on Saturday night.