Walker in the doctor's office

Walker intrudes in the doctor's office

While the state of Wisconsin was enjoying the long Easter weekend, Gov. Walker quietly signed into legislation a duo of anti-abortion bills. The purpose of these bills is to make it harder for women to access abortion services, while ensuring that the events in the examining room are scripted and orchestrated by the government.

The first of these anti-abortion bills bans coverage for abortion through the health insurance exchange, due to be set up under the aegis of the federal health care reform law in 2014. The only rationale behind this bill is that the federal law allows the states to prohibit abortion coverage, and this was reason enough for the governor to introduce such a move.

The second bill in this hushed-up slew of baseless and extremely inconvenient legislation makes women seeking an abortion consult a doctor alone so she may not be coerced by anyone else into having one. Failure to adhere with this requirement could result in a Class I felony for the doctors. The Wisconsin Medical Society expressed extreme disappointment on the signing of this bill, contending that this bill "directly infringes on the special and private relationship between the physician and the patient." Legislatively mandating what occurs inside the examining room undermines this relationship, while threatening with felonies for failure to comply effectively wags a questioning finger at the credibility and the integrity of physicians.

It is beyond any shred of doubt that the latest legislation is aimed at making access to abortion harder, and is strictly anti- woman. The sole purpose of these bills is to curb the reproductive freedoms that women can have, while enforcing theocratic values and morality into legislative language. It is interesting to note that the party of less government wants to play an active role in making sure that every aspect of a woman’s sex life is dictated, legislated and allowed only to extents they deem appropriate.