Voters unlikely to need IDs in recalls

The state Supreme Court said Monday it will not review two court cases invalidating the state’s controversial voter ID law, likely meaning voters will not need to provide identification at polling places for the spring recall elections.

Two Dane County Circuit Judges blocked portions of the voter ID law in March, ruling it violated the state constitution by disenfranchising some Wisconsin voters.

The Department of Justice appealed the cases in two different appeals courts, both of which deferred the decision to the state Supreme Court saying both cases involved important issues and required a timely decision.

The High Court’s decision to pass on the review of the cases will send both back to the original appeals courts, likely postponing any ruling that would reinstate the voter ID law until after the recall elections in May and June.

Any future decision the appeals courts make could then go on to the Supreme Court if their rulings are appealed.

Members of the Court did not comment on the decision.

The voter ID law has been a central issue since it was passed last summer, with Democrats arguing it unfairly targets minorities and disenfranchises many traditionally Democratic voters. Republicans say the law will help prevent voter fraud.

Milwaukee Mayor and Walker recall candidate Democrat Tom Barrett, released a statement attacking the law Monday after the Court’s decision.

“[The] law shouldn’t be in place for any election,” said Barrett. “Yes, real acts of voter fraud should never be tolerated.  But Scott Walker’s voter ID bill is a voter disenfranchisement plan that has no place in an open and free democracy.”

However, Republicans continue to say the law is necessary to maintain fair elections.  Walker Spokesperson Cullen Werwie said the law was important and compared requiring an ID for elections to requiring an ID for things like a “library card” and “cold medicine”.

“Ensuring the integrity of our elections is one of the core functions of government.  We are confident the state will prevail in its plan to implement photo ID,” Werwie said.