UW considers adding winter break classes

UW-Madison students could have the opportunity to take in-person and online courses during winter break, according to an e-mail sent to the student body asking them for feedback on the idea.

The one- to three-credit classes would take place during the three weeks before spring semester begins.

UW-Madison senior Kate Tritschler said she liked the idea of winter classes, adding the only reason she is able to graduate in four years is because she took three years of summer classes.

“I think it would be just a nice way to get more credits in or to just relieve stress during the semester so you can take fewer classes in the spring or the fall,” Tritschler said.

First year UW-Madison graduate student Mary Parsons agreed she would take winter classes given the option and said three weeks seems like the appropriate amount of time for them to last. She said three weeks is enough time for classes to occur and it still allows students a week of break.

The university’s e-mail sent by the Division of Continuing Studies included a survey asking students to share their opinions on the matter. According to the e-mail, students’ feedback can help UW meet the academic needs of the student body.