ASM 04252012

ASM Chair Allie Gardner leads a tense meeting Tuesday while student council representatives debate MCSC’s funding eligibility. They ultimately delayed the decision.

Student council further delays MCSC funding decision

Tensions ran high Tuesday as student council debated whether the Multicultural Student Coalition is eligible for funding, ultimately further delaying the decision.

Associated Students of Madison representatives voted to not allow individuals who were not present when MCSC gave its eligibility pitch to student council to participate in the vote that will decide if the group receives funding, although some of the individuals listened to the recordings of the meeting and spoke with MCSC members.

Student Services Finance Committee Chair Sarah Neibart said the decision violates the body’s “viewpoint neutrality” by judging MCSC’s eligibility through a different process than SSFC did in October, where representatives who were not present at the hearing could vote if they had met with members of the group.

Former SSFC representative Michael Jackson said representatives should recognize they are not experts when ruling on MCSC’s eligibility.

“I think there is a clear demonstration of individuals who have not been humbled and as you sit around this room, realize that it is your responsibility to make informed decisions with the mindset that we don’t know everything,” Jackson said.

Also at the meeting, members indicated how disappointed they were by the “lack of respect” displayed by some council members during the meeting, some of whom were called out for playing games on the internet and making derogatory hand gestures.

Neibart said she felt many representatives came to the meeting with their decision already made on MCSC’s eligibility, and while some were open to what people had to say, “others just turned off.”

“It was really disappointing, these are the representatives of the students and they’re not even listening to other students,” Neibart said. “I think this is kind of a pivotal point that shows the failures of the 18th session of student council.”

ASM Chair Allie Gardner said the controversy surrounding MCSC’s eligibility contributed to the tension at the meeting.

“It’s hard for people to not feel pressure, not to mention that now you have internal bodies trying to influence each other or trying to keep others from influencing them,” Gardner said.