Pro-Falk group to spend $1 million more before recall

With the recall primary election less than two weeks away and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Kathleen Falk trailing in the polls, a union-backed pro-Falk group announced Thursday it will spend more than $1 million on advertisements over the next 11 days.

Wisconsin For Falk is an independent political group that formed in March to support Falk’s campaign to take on Gov. Scott Walker in the recall election. The group plans to buy ads online and in most of the major state television markets in the days leading up to the May 8 primary.

“From the start of this campaign, we have had a plan and have executed it,” Wisconsin For Falk Treasurer Michael Vaughn said in a statement. “For the final push during the primary our plan will include paid media, mailings and an aggressive statewide get-out-the-vote effort.”

With Falk lagging behind Barrett in recent polls, Wisconsin For Falk hopes to give her a boost in the final stretch before the primary. A poll released earlier this month by the Democratic firm Public Policy Polling shows Barrett has the support of 38 percent of likely primary voters compared to 24 percent for Falk.

The group is funded in part by the state’s largest public employee union, AFSCME, and largest teacher’s union, WEAC and has already spent over $2 million throughout the primary season for Falk. AFSCME and WEAC have also endorsed Falk for governor in the recall.  

The TV ad Wisconsin For Falk plans to run during this period criticizes Walker’s budget reforms but does not mention her top opponent in the primary, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.

Barrett campaign spokesman Phil Walzak downplayed the impact of the ad purchase, saying Barrett has been outspent and attacked by both sides throughout the campaign.

“Despite the barrage, the polls show Tom is the consensus favorite of the people to take on Scott Walker,” Walzak said in an email. “The reason is clear — Tom is the best candidate to fight for jobs, protect education and restore Wisconsin values.”

Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, and Secretary of State Doug La Follette are also running for governor on the Democratic side in the recall.