Mifflin safety

Police talk new safety measures, alternative solutions at Mifflin Street Block Party

Madison police discussed new safety measures at this year’s Mifflin Street Block Party and the possibility of future alternative solutions at a city safety committee meeting Thursday.

In response to the violence at last year’s block party, Central District Executive Captain of Police Carl Gloede said there will be an increase in police presence at this year’s block party, including six additional horse-mounted officers.

Gloede said last year’s block party was the worst in the nearly 20 years he has attended Mifflin and said he was completely shocked there was not a riot.

In order to minimize violence, police will be monitoring house parties and enforcing regulations such as prohibiting underage drinking and glass bottles in addition to open alcohol containers in the street.

“If people are looking for a wild and crazy weekend, we don’t believe it’s going to be here and they should go look somewhere else,” Gloede said.

Police and building safety inspectors are also making an effort to foster communication between residents and police by going door to door giving safety tips and making sure porches and houses are structurally safe, according to Gloede.

While Gloede said it is understandable city officials and residents want to end the block party, he thinks shutting down the event is unrealistic and any attempts to disband the party “would not be pretty.” Additionally, he said the cost of ending the event would be more than the current cost of regulating it.

Gloede said moving the event to another area like a park or large parking lot where the attendants could be limited to UW-Madison students would improve safety.

Despite regular discussion on safety at Mifflin, some are concerned students are not considering the safety risks.

UW-Madison freshman Alex Newell designed T-shirts displaying a bull’s-eye with the words “Stab Here,” which was based off of a friend’s idea referring to the two stabbings that occurred at last year’s event.

Gloede said the designs are disrespectful to those that were injured.

“You don’t get stabbed and not have that change your life,” Gloede said.

Newell agreed the shirt is insensitive and said it began as a joke.