Leland Pan wins fifth district seat for Dane County board

After months of campaigning, UW-Madison sophomore Leland Pan won the race for Dane County’s Board of Supervisors District 5 seat.

Pan received 54 percent of the votes. His opponent, UW-Madison junior John Magnino, received 45 percent.

“I’ve very appreciative of the support from the district and from my friends,” Pan said. “Hopefully, we’ll get progressive change done at the county, that’s the goal.”

Pan’s goals for his term as county supervisor also include improving communication between the county and campus by updating the county’s website to make it more accessible to students. Additionally, he plans to help students participate in local government by organizing campaigns and protests.

Despite the April 3 elections taking place over spring break, 382 voters turned out for the election as opposed to 263 voters in the 2010 election. 

“The election results are the results of a lot of hard work by both my opponent and [myself],” Pan said. “I think we both did a really good job reaching out to students.”

Magnino acknowledged the role of the timing of the election and said the results may have turned out differently if the election had occurred during a time when the university is in session.

“I wish him the best of luck in his time as the county supervisor,” Magnino said. “I just want to congratulate him for a hard fought campaign.”

Pan said he hopes to work with Magnino in his term as a county supervisor.

“I really hope that my opponent continues to stay engaged,” Pan said. “I think he’s someone who is passionate for [local government].”