Barry

Alvarez apologizes for ‘offensive’ remarks

UW-Madison Athletic Director Barry Alvarez apologized in a letter last week for comments that a Dane County Board Supervisor said were “mocking and belittling” to a sexual assault victim.

The sexual assault allegation was the third in a string of accusations against former senior associate athletic director John Chadima, the first of which ultimately resulted in Chadima’s suspension and resignation.

In a letter to UW Chancellor David Ward and Alvarez, Supervisor Andrea Bayrd requested Alvarez apologize for his “offensive” comments in a March 21 Wisconsin State Journal article, in which he questioned the accuracy of the victim’s allegations.

The victim, a former football player, reported in early February he had to hide in a bathroom to deter Chadima’s sexual advances following a football game in 2010.

“Was that the accusation from a so-called ex-football player who had to lock himself in a closet to hide from John? I would question a lot of what was said,” Alvarez told the State Journal.

Alvarez’s comments came in response to a second report released by UW, detailing findings regarding the alleged sexual assault by Chadima. Alvarez apologized to Bayrd and the victim in a letter.

“First, I’d like to apologize if I offended anyone—including the alleged victim—with my comments regarding the allegations of misconduct,” Alvarez wrote in the letter to Bayrd as reported by the State Journal.

In her letter to Ward and Alvarez that prompted the apology, Bayrd criticized Alvarez for making fun of a victim who she said acted responsibly in a dangerous situation.

“It is acceptable for Alvarez to have a personal opinion as to the accuracy of the accusation, but it is not appropriate for Alvarez to bully the alleged victim for ‘not being man enough’ by locking himself in a closet,” she said.

Bayrd also said she felt Alvarez’s comments could deter future victims from reporting sexual assault because they would risk being mocked.

“The message Alvarez sends to future victims is clear—don’t report a sexual assault or risk being made fun of. And don’t run away from danger but stay and fight, like a true football player. Future victims are cowards if they run away and hide,” Bayrd said in her letter to Ward and Alvarez.