Walker to establish legal defense fund to cover attorney costs in John Doe investigation.

Gov. Scott Walker announced his intention to set up a legal defense fund to help pay for expenses associated with the ongoing John Doe investigation against his former aides Friday.

The investigation, which dates back to 2010, is looking into crimes, like election fraud and embezzlement, allegedly committed by Walker’s former staffers from his time as Milwaukee County Executive. So far, four former aides face felony charges as a result of the investigation.

According to the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, the creation of a legal defense fund by a state official is only permissible when a candidate “is being investigated for or charged with a violation of campaign finance laws.”

No official investigation into Walker’s actions as Milwaukee County Executive has been declared.

Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Mike Tate said the announcement seems to be an admission of guilt from Walker.

“Wisconsin has never had a Governor that needed a criminal defense fund, but Scott Walker is no ordinary Governor,” Tate said. “He has bent and broken the rules that should govern the conduct of an executive.”

Walker has maintained his innocence throughout the investigations and said all the money going into the defense fund will come from private donors to his campaign.

"I…made it clear that no public money has been used, or will be used, to pay for the attorneys needed to review documents and assist me in cooperating,” Walker said in a statement. “The fund will operate in accordance with the Wisconsin law authorizing these accounts."