falk 03152012

Former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk announced her candidacy the same day organizers filed recall petitions.

UW-Madison Young Progressives endorses Falk in likely recall election

UW-Madison Young Progressives endorsed Democratic hopeful Kathleen Falk Wednesday to run against Gov. Scott Walker in his likely recall election.

Two other candidates, including state Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, and Secretary of State Doug La Follette have officially announced their candidacy in the potential recall. A great deal speculation, however, still exists whether Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, who ran against Walker in 2010, will join the race.

Young Progressives joins a long list of organizations including WEAC, Clean Wisconsin and AFSCME to endorse Falk in the anticipated upcoming recall election.

The endorsement comes weeks before the gubernatorial recall election will officially be declared.

Sam Gehler, President of the Young Progressives, said Falk’s experience makes her the ideal candidate.

“To be honest I feel like Kathleen Falk would’ve been who we endorsed whether we endorse now or whether we endorse in a month,” Gehler said. “I think that her record as Dane County Executive gives her a very strong sense of pragmatism and practical governing.”

Falk said she was honored to have the Young Progressives’ endorsement, saying student involvement in the recall process is important.

“Gov. Walker’s tuition hikes will saddle our students with even more student loan debt, and his failure to deliver on his promise to create jobs will leave our young people out in the cold as they are denied their chance at the American Dream,” Falk said in a statement Wednesday.

Falk has also pledged to repeal Wisconsin’s Voter ID law and reinstate collective bargaining if elected governor.