Tommy Thompson

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson is leading the field of candidates for a U.S. Senate seat in most polls.

Thompson, presidential candidates to visit state

Wisconsin will play host to former Gov. Tommy Thompson and two Republican presidential hopefuls over the next week, as pivotal primary elections loom ahead.   

Thompson, one of the frontrunners in the Republican U.S. Senate race, will be on campus Saturday to speak to College Republicans from across the state about his campaign. He will also talk about his previous experience in public office, where he served as the Governor of Wisconsin from 1987 to 2001 and as U.S. Health and Human Services secretary during President George W. Bush’s first term.

“We are extremely excited to host a fellow Badger at his alma mater,” UW-Madison College Republican Chairman Jeff Snow said. “Governor Thompson’s appearance has garnered a lot of intrigue and enthusiasm.”

The event is part of a larger Wisconsin Federation of College Republicans’ campaign weekend in Madison.

Former U.S. Rep. Mark Neumann, Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, and Madison businessman Eric Hovde are challenging Thompson for the Republican nomination. U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, is the lone Democratic candidate in the Senate race.

With the state presidential primary less than two weeks away, Republican hopefuls are planning to make several campaign appearances in Wisconsin over the next few days as well.  

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum will participate in a campaign event Saturday in Milwaukee hosted by Americans for Prosperity, a conservative political group. Santorum will also hold four rallies throughout the state this weekend.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney originally planned a fundraiser in Milwaukee for March 31, but cancelled it Thursday. Ann Romney hosted a campaign event for her husband in Middleton Thursday.