SXSWild: A report from the trenches

Great bass is like great sex—the intense, rhythmic build up eventually comes to an immensely gratifying release in the drop. Lucky for our libidos, there was plenty of bass to go around last night during the shows of AraabMUZIK and Machinedrum. Machinedrum performed in the sweaty basement of a dive bar, and we have never seen a crowd respond so passionately: if you are a fan of dubstep or dropping it low, he is a must-listen.

Earlier in the day, we ran into Youth Lagoon’s Trevor Powers stumbling amicably along the street, presumably texting someone. After recovering from being starstruck for the umpteenth time this week, we caught their show at the Hype Hotel. Powers’ crooning vocals were a little more angsty than usual, but the performance overall was still well-delivered, with the element of a live guitar, keyboard and synthesizer.

Later, we popped in on sets by Futurebirds and Caveman, both indie-rock performances that are worth a listen, and after AraabMUZIK’s riotous performance in a warehouse East of I-35, we caught Nick Waterhouse at dive bar tucked into an unassuming alley. If you haven’t heard him, Waterhouse is like stepping into late 1950s-era rock ‘n’ roll, with better sound quality; we highly recommend it. Doing the Twist is encouraged.

We caught another Black Hippy show with Kendrick Lamar and company on an outdoor patio. Side note—we’ve fallen completely in love with the effect of the air-horn transitionary sample, a staple of this performance. But seriously, he gave a captivating performance to an eager audience, many of whom knew the lyrics, which is a unique phenomenon at SXSW where lesser-known acts reign supreme. Kendrick Lamar’s lyrics are smart and socially relevant while boasting catchy back beats to boot.

Before ending the note on a climax with Machinedrum, we were able to make it to one of Chairlift’s three performances of the day. This five-piece band still delivered despite the late time slot. Their music is catchy, though their lead singer is a bit awkward during banter between sets. However, we were able to look past this and enjoy their whimsical pop tunes. Keep an eye and ear out for this burgeoning success story.

We’ve got one more recap for y’all—when in Austin—so be sure to check back tomorrow morning for our last synopsis!