ASM

UW-Madison junior Jasmine Mans came forward to ASM student council as the victim of a recent alleged hate crime involving the Delta Upsilon fraternity.

Students urge ASM to take stand against hate crimes

Students urged UW-Madison student government leaders Wednesday to act against hate crimes at the university, saying campus is not a safe place for racial minority students.

UW-Madison Junior Jasmine Mans spoke to the Associated Students of Madison student council, coming forward as one of the victims of the alleged racial harassment at the Delta Upsilon fraternity March 16.

Mans said while the incident in itself was appalling, she was especially angered by how many excused the perpetrator’s actions because alcohol was involved.

“The worst part of the incident wasn’t the words that were said to me, it wasn’t the bottle that was thrown at me, the worst part of it was the guy who ran up to me after the bottle was thrown and said ‘He’s drunk, he didn’t mean it’,” Mans said.

Mans urged ASM to consider the consequences of white privilege and discrimination that comes from a lack of diversity training in the student government.

“This campus is not a safe place for students of color, and it is your responsibility to do something about it, “ Mans said.

MCSC representative Amberine Huda said funding cuts to multicultural student organizations, such as the Multicultural Student Coalition, only harms students of color on campus.

“Taking away funding or preventing an org from receiving funding for an initiative that will not only better themselves but the entire student body is literally not only a paradigm of the student voices but the incompetence that comes with that decision making,” Huda said.

Also at the meeting, students criticized ASM Chair Allie Gardner and other student leaders for being arrested at a United States Students Association protest of student loan debt  in Washington D.C. earlier this week. The trip was funded in part by student fees.

But the arrested ASM members stood by their decision to join the demonstration at the headquarters of loan provider Sallie Mae.

“I was arrested for standing up for what I believe in,” said Maxwell Love, who was arrested at Monday’s protest. “I made a personal decision, and yes my ticket was paid for by segregated fees, but I made the decision.”