leg affairs

Students and city officials meet each Sunday to discuss solutions for the Mifflin Street Block Party on May 5.

Students and city officials continue to work on plan for Mifflin Street Block Party

mmittee heard two opposing plans from the mayor and police department on how to handle the Mifflin Street Block Party, a committee comprised of city officials and students are continuing to work on a plan.

At a meeting Feb. 10 with Mayor Paul Soglin and the Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs committee, Soglin recommended the committee obtain a street-use permit and find a sponsor.

A street-use permit would alleviate the cost to the city and close the street to cars during the party. A permit would also allow food vendors, entertainment groups and portable restrooms on city sidewalks and streets during the party, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

At a meeting Feb. 23 with the Madison Police Department and Legislative Affairs, police representatives disagreed with closing off Mifflin Street to traffic during the party because doing so would disrupt the flow of traffic.

“I think it was kind of a convoluted way for the police to shut [the party] down entirely,” Legislative Affairs committee member Maria Giannopoulos said. “If there’s no street-use permit, it means they can ticket anyone who’s in the street.”

Despite the conflicting views, Soglin and the MPD reached an agreement last week and told the committee to move forward in finding a sponsor and obtaining a street-use permit, according to Verveer.

WSUM student radio sponsored the party in 2009 and 2010. The Majestic Theatre sponsored it in 2011.

The city hopes to have plans for the block party on May 5 finalized by mid-March.