Police, residents talk Mifflin safety

After sterns words on its direction from Madison’s police chief earlier this week, the Mifflin Street Block Party was discussed at a meeting of local leaders, police and student government representatives Tuesday.

Madison Police Chief Noble Wray said the Madison Police Department seeks to downsize the party in the future after the violence that occurred last year in his interview earlier this week with the Wisconsin State Journal.

“The challenges that we saw last year, I think, certainly warranted strong messages from the chief,” Sgt. Anthony Fiore said.

But ASM representative Maria Giannopoulos said she hopes this year’s theme, “Mifflin Now, Mifflin Forever” will create a safe and successful party that will allow Mifflin to continue into the future.

“Last year, Mifflin did not go over so well and we want to rebrand that and make sure that Mifflin is as safe and as positive as possible,” Giannopoulos said.

Fiore said residents could create a safe environment by only inviting people they know to parties and securing valuables during the entire event.

Unlike at the last block party, the city will prohibit people from consuming alcohol on city streets or sidewalks this year.

“The mantra from the police department will be 100 percent compliance, that’s what we’re expecting from the people who choose to come to the Mifflin street event this year,” Lt. Dave McCaw said.

Despite lacking an event sponsor, the city will still have portable restrooms and food vendors located throughout the event area.

Fire marshal Edwin Ruckriegel said the city would be encouraging property owners to clear properties of wood, debris or flammable chemicals and enforcing fire codes with crowded buildings and balconies during the event.

“Not only look out for your own safety … but look after each other,” Ruckriegel said

Giannopoulos said everyone attending the party has to be responsible in order to create a safe environment.

“If we’re not safe and we’re not responsible… then I don’t know if Mifflin can continue,” Giannopoulos said.