Muslim and Jewish comedians come together, promoting peace through humor

Today the Muslim Students Association (MSA) will sponsor a free performance of an interfaith comedy duo in the Union South’s Varsity Hall II at 7 p.m. The event is part of the Laugh in Peace Tour, featuring Muslim comedian Azhar Usman and a Jewish Rabbi-turned-comedian, Bob Alper.

Alper’s comedy has been prominently featured on XM/Sirius satellite radio. His comedy harkens back to the stylings of Bill Cosby and Bob Newhart. The Vermont resident has been in comedy for 27 years.

Usman is one of the nation’s most famous Muslim comedians. Indeed, Usman is one of the founders of the all-Muslim comedy tour “Allah Made Me Funny.” He has also been featured on ABC’s Nightline and CBS Sunday morning.

The pair has performed at colleges, churches, synagogues and theaters around the nation.

MSA’s president, Zeeshan Haq, said that tomorrow’s event is the result of a yearlong preparation process, including several grant applications submitted by the MSA. The event is co-sponsored by the Hillel.

The event is part of the festivities for MSA’s annual Islam Appreciation Month.

Haq explained that the MSA’s choice of this act was based on a desire to stimulate interfaith dialogue among students on campus, especially given the divisions along religious lines in a post-9/11 era.

Haq also connects the need for this event to the greater context of Jewish and Muslim affairs in the Middle East.

“As the international community continues to observe the deteriorating state of affairs between Israel and Iran, the timing and necessity of this event couldn’t be more appropriate.”