More state Senate recalls possible

In yet another example of Wisconsin’s contentious political atmosphere, two more state Senators—one Democrat and one Republican—may face recall efforts against them from a conservative action group.

Citizens for Responsible Government announced Monday they filed papers to pursue a recall election of Sen. Bob Jauch, D-Poplar, and will explore the possibility of recalling Sen. Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center. Schultz is a moderate Republican who was the sole GOP vote against a failed bill that would have eased restrictions on mining in Wisconsin.

CRG said in a statement Monday the decisions were made because the two Senators voted against the mining bill “that promised to provide a substantial number of jobs and other financial benefits to economically devastated regions of Northern Wisconsin.”

The Senators attempted to offer compromise legislation to ensure Florida-based Gogebic Taconite built a mine in northern Wisconsin. The company said it would bring thousands of jobs to Northern Wisconsin, but only if the state eased its environmental regulations.

In response Jauch said CRG is only interested in political conquest and not in working for the common good of the people living in northern Wisconsin.

“They just want to send a message that they will threaten to recall a public official who happens to dare to disagree with them,” Jauch said in a statement. “They don’t care about the north. They just want to make sure they own the politics and control the person who represents the north.”

Schultz did not return requests for a statement by the time of publication.