Justin Schultz

Junior defenseman Justin Schultz added All-CHN First Team honors to his already impressive list of postseason awards.

Men's Hockey: Schultz honored again

The postseason accolades continue to pile up for Wisconsin men’s hockey junior defenseman Justin Schultz as CollegeHockeyNews.com named the West Kelowna, British Colombia native to its 2012 All-CHN First Team Tuesday.

Schultz had another dominating offensive season from the blue line in 2011-’12, recording 16 goals and 44 points, marks that make him the highest scoring rear guard in the nation. Schultz’s 16 goals this season also made him the only defenseman in Badger men’s hockey program history to lead the team in goal scoring. He is the first Wisconsin player since Robbie Earl and Joe Pavelski did so from 2004-’06 to record back-to-back 40-point seasons. 

Schultz ranks as the third highest scoring defenseman in UW history with 40 career goals. His 113 points in three seasons are tied for eighth in program history for blue liners. 

Following his outstanding season Schultz was awarded with his second straight WCHA Player of the Year Award, becoming only the third player to ever take home the award twice, as well his second First Team All-WCHA honor and was named a top-10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award—given to the top player in college hockey—for the second consecutive season.

Schultz is hoping to become only the second player in Wisconsin history to win the Hobey Baker Award after former teammate Blake Geoffrion, who took home the award in 2010. The Hobey Hat Trick (top-three vote getters) will be announced March 29 and the winner will be revealed April 6 from the 2012 Frozen Four in Tampa, Fla.

Schultz was a second round draft pick of the Anaheim Ducks in 2008 and it is widely believed that he will forfeit his senior year of eligibility with Wisconsin and turn pro after this season. Schultz can either sign with the Ducks or he can opt to become an unrestricted free agent on June 1 and have the ability to explore his options and pick the landing spot of his choosing.