Ian's Pizza may move to new location on Capitol Square

Ian’s Pizza discussed possibly relocating from their State Street location to Capitol Square at a city Vending Oversight Committee meeting Wednesday.

The restaurant plans to move from 115 State Street to the former Children’s Museum’s location on Capitol Square, which will include an outdoor dining area.

Nick Martin, managing partner of Ian’s Pizza, worries the presence of street vendors during the farmer’s market will crowd the proposed sidewalk cafe.

“We’re not open until 11 a.m., so this is really only affecting us from 11 a.m. until 2:30 or 3 p.m. when the farmers market people are there,” Martin said. “Unfortunately, that’s prime time for our patio and having that extra seating is important for the busiest time of the week for us.”

Some members of the committee are worried about taking business away from well-established street vendors.

“If you want to do chicken and the egg, the vendors have been here for twenty years,” said committee member Warren Hansen.

Committee members suggested reducing the size of the street cafe on Saturdays to make room for both outdoor dining and street vendors until the farmer’s market closes at 3 p.m. and reopens to its full size.

“The farmer’s market has been a huge part of our business,” Martin said. “We’re hoping we can find available space that won’t even require them to be moved.”

This resolution would require the removal of at least two city benches, which the city will consider at a later meeting.