SSFC

Finance Committee Vice President and Transportation Board Rep. Chase Wilson presented the transportation budget.

Finance Committee: student fees for SAFEride to increase

The Student Transportation Program introduced its budget, which could significantly increase student fees toward SAFEride services, to the Student Services Finance Committee Thursday.

The transportation board negotiates costs with the City of Madison to provide SAFEride and SAFEcab services, as well as student bus passes for the UW-Madison campus community.

The requested budget totals about $4.2 million, up about $180,000 over the group’s 2011 budget projections. Students’ segregated fees cover about half the total cost, sharing the rest with UW Transportation Services.

But according to SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart, next year’s transportation budget might increase further because the Madison Metro bus system is charging more, compensating for increased ridership, higher state rates and inflation.

Chase Wilson, SSFC Vice Chair and a student representative on the Transportation Board, presented the budget. Negotiations are ongoing, Wilson said, because the board and the city are still debating just how much students should contribute.

SSFC and Transportation Board representatives said they hope to keep the student share of the campus bus services budget at the current amount, while still maintaining the same level of services.

Chancellor David Ward is set to make a decision on the issue Wednesday, when he reviews all student segregated fee budgets for 2012-2013.

Should Ward opt to overrule student recommendations and increase segregated funds to transportation, Neibart said she plans to appeal the decision.

If Ward supports student recommendations, the Student Transportation Program must engage the city in further negotiations to decide the level of services UW Transportation will still be able to provide next year.

“Depending upon the chancellor’s ruling on the budget… students could end up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars more a year with no additional increase in services,” said SSFC Rep. Cale Plamann.