Vending 03292012

City Alcohol Policy Coordinator Mark Woulf said food vending at Mifflin would be a threat to safety in an emergency.

City will not allow food vendors at Mifflin due to safety concerns

City officials decided Wednesday food vendors will not be allowed at the 2012 Mifflin Street Block Party.

While the Vending Oversight Committee approved changes to an ordinance allowing the city to set up temporary vending sites for any special event in the southeast campus area, city officials said vending will not be allowed at the party because of safety concerns.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the Madison Police Department and the city’s Risk Management committee advised Mayor Paul Soglin that vending sites would be an obstruction in the event of an emergency.

In the event of an emergency, the presence of food vendors would make it more difficult for the police department to close and clear the street, according to city Alcohol Policy Coordinator Mark Woulf.

Vendors may still set up as close to the party as the 300 block of Mifflin Street, which is outside of the southeast campus vending area, according to Verveer.

“I think it’s unfortunate that the Mayor’s office did not decide to take this attempt,” said Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8.  “I do believe the addition of food is a good way to alleviate the effects of alcohol on the body.”

In addition to the change in food vending, Verveer said police will have a greater presence at Mifflin.

“I think we will see increased enforcement of various ordinances this year, but we probably won’t experience the extreme...police tactics that discourage people from gathering,” Verveer said.