City commission continues debate on State Street redevelopment plans

City planning officials reviewed a redevelopment plan for the top block of State Street Monday, recognizing merits of the project but also expressing concerns for proposed demolition.

The $10 million proposal to “reconstruct and revitalize” the State Street area, led by Jerome Frautschi and Pleasant Rowland, calls for the demolition of five buildings, including the landmark Schubert building at 120 W. Mifflin St.

Although city committees have heard the controversial proposal several times, none have granted initial approval, according to Plan Commission chair Nancy Fey.

The Plan Commission entered Monday’s meeting with plans to refer the proposal back to two other city planning committees. Project manager George Austin said the owners are prepared to abandon the project and will sell the six properties if commissioners do not accept the proposal.

Project architect Eric Lawson reiterated the “key to the proposal” is a plan for an open garden space at the corner of Mifflin and Fairchild streets, which would require the demolishing the Stark building at 122-124 W. Mifflin St.

Neither the Landmarks Commission, another city planning group, nor the developers are willing to compromise on the Stark building.

“If the integral part of doing this development is tearing down the [Stark] building, then we are in opposition to the project,” Landmarks Commission chair Stuart Levitan said.

Madison Trust for Historical Preservation director Jason Tish and Levitan presented an alternative idea to reconstruct State Street without demolishing any buildings, which some Planning Commission members agree with.