ASM

Debate ensued after student government representatives proposed putting a new ASM consitution up for vote this spring.

ASM debates new constitution proposal

A new Associated Students of Madison constitution proposal was met with criticism Wednesday after a group of student council representatives presented legislation to put the consitution up for a vote this Spring.

Under the proposed constitution, student government would consist of an executive, legislative, judicial and appropriations branch, as opposed to the current model containing student council, Student Services Finance Committee and Student Judiciary.http://host.madison.com/daily-cardinal/news/group-kicks-off-asm-constitution-proposal/article_1f0583de-465a-11e1-8f1a-0019bb2963f4.html

Ronald Crandall, president of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences student council, spoke in support of the proposed constitution.

“It’s really important to students and I really hope you take this seriously,” Crandall said. “It would really encourage students to get involved in ASM.”

Many ASM representatives said they were concerned the process of drafting the constitution was not transparent to both student council and the entire student body.

“How are students engaged at all levels when there are only specific people invited to this committee that just happened to be at the top level of student involvement?” Rep. Thom Duncan said. “Where’s the engagement there?”

Crandall said supporters of the constitution, including himself, have been reaching out to students, trying to inform and engage them in the process through information sessions and outreach to college and school student councils.

The council will vote to put the proposed constitution to a referendum at its next two meetings.

Also at the meeting, council approved the nominations of representatives to various positions within ASM.

Patrick Piazze-McMahon, Chan Kim and Jacob Miller were approved as student council representatives from the College of Letters and Science. Kevin Walters was approved as a graduate school representative, and Laura Brickman was approved as the ASM Press Liason.

“We are nominating a group of extremely qualified and diverse candidates to the positions,” said Nominations Board Chair Zach DeQuattro. “Our expectations for these nominees are high and we hope to see immediate benefits to ASM Student Council and the ASM body as a whole.”