Walker requests more time to review recall signatures

Gov. Scott Walker asked for another two-week extension Wednesday to review and challenge the approximately 1 million recall petitions signed against him.

The extension, if approved, would move the already extended date of Feb. 27 to March 12.  The Government Accountability Board, the group responsible for overseeing the recall elections, has until March 19 to declare a recall election. This requested extension would prevent the GAB from receiving all information on the signatures until March 21, delaying the GAB’s official decision.

Kathleen Falk, Democratic candidate for governor and former Dane County Executive, said in a statement Walker is intentionally delaying the recall election so he can have more time to raise campaign funds.

“Gov. Walker will keep raising money to support his extreme, National Tea Party agenda but all the money in the world can’t buy back the trust he has lost from the people of Wisconsin,” Falk said.

Walker’s campaign said it has sufficiently reviewed 25 percent of the recall petitions to date and found 10 to 20 percent of the signatures are invalid. A 50 percent average error would have to be found to prevent a recall election.