Panel details punishments students can face for stalking

University officials and members of the Madison community explained the consequences UW-Madison students can face for stalking, which range from suspension to incurring charges Wednesday.

The panel, hosted by Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment as part of Stalking Awareness Month, included representatives from UW Police Department, the Dean of Students office, University Housing and Domestic Abuse Intervention Services.

Ervin Cox, Director of Student Assistance and Judicial Affairs in the Dean of Students office, said the university begins by suspending a student guilty of stalking. For the duration of their suspension, the individual is not considered a student and can face trespassing charges if they come on campus.

Even in cases when the university does not suspend the perpetrator, the Division of University Housing may take action if either the offender or the victim lives in a residence hall. Such measures include providing temporary safe rooms for victims and terminating offenders’ residence hall contracts.

All of the panel members encourage student victims to report any stalking incident to a university official or police officer as well as to use other resources on campus.

“One thing I stress to people is to take it slowly, one day at a time,” UWPD Detective Peter Grimyse said. “We really encourage them to go to [University Health Services] and start seeing somebody there, just because it is so much to deal with.”