Justin Schultz

University of Wisconsin defenseman Justin Schultz.

Men's Hockey: From the point: Badger defensemen forging down the path of offense

The Wisconsin men's hockey program has a history of being the launch pad for some of the most talented forwards in the NHL, but a run of elite offensive defensemen may be changing their reputation.

During the 2008-‘09 season, Badger defenseman Jamie McBain put together an impressive run on the score sheet, totaling 37 points to lead Wisconsin and put him in a tie for second place in scoring at his position.

That was the last time a Wisconsin defenseman did not lead the country in scoring at their position.

The following year, Brendan Smith finished with 52 points and tied for sixth among all scorers-no other defenseman finished in the top 50. Last season Jake Gardiner would have led the country in defensive scoring with 40 points had it not been for the other half of his defensive pair, Justin Schultz, who put up 47 points.

Schultz, a junior from West Kelowna, B.C., has increased his scoring pace this season, netting 38 points in just 28 games, putting him seven points ahead of the next closest defenseman.

While each player has their own unique skill set, there are several similarities between each man's game that have contributed to their collective success.

"If you look at what those guys have in common as far as their strengths, they're all very good skaters, they all have an excellent skill set with the puck, and they see the game very well," head coach Mike Eaves said. "The other thing is they're damn competitive. They want to be very good and they're willing to work at that."

So what is responsible for this incredible run of defensive scoring-is it a result of the system that Eaves and his staff run? Or is it a result of simply having four elite playmakers?

"I think it's both," Schultz said. "You look at those other guys, they're all talented offensively, they're gifted. I've always been an offensive guy, I've always put up points, but I think it's a little bit of both."

Eaves uses a system that allows for his defenders to take a lead role in the opponent's zone and maximize scoring chances.

"He likes us to jump up in the play and get involved," Schultz said of his coach's game plan. "One of the main reasons why we're able to do that is that we have forwards that can cover for us."

While the opportunities are always there for defenders to help out on offense, Eaves also stresses solid two-way play out of his defenders, an attribute that makes an offensive defenseman even more dangerous on the next level.

"For me, I think it's the defensive part, he's prepared me for that," Schultz said on how his coach has gotten him ready for the NHL. "I didn't really have much more to do offensively and the main thing I wanted to improve was my defensive game."

The power play has also been a key factor behind the team's defensive scoring. Since 2008, the Badgers have finished no worse than 13th nationally in power play efficiency, finishing in the top 10 twice.

The combination of Schultz and Gardiner last season gave Wisconsin one of the most lethal defensive pairings in recent NCAA history, a combination they hoped to continue in the NHL.

Both players were drafted by the Anaheim Ducks organization in the 2008 draft, Gardiner in the first round (17th overall) and Schultz in the second (43rd overall). However, last February Gardiner was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, ending any hope of the Badger-to-Badger pairing on the next level.

"We always kind of talked about one day maybe playing together in the pro game," Schultz said. "I was definitely disappointed [when Gardiner was traded]. But it's a good thing for him. He's been unreal up there."

While he has not made a decision yet, it is very likely that Schultz will jump to the NHL after this season, opening the door for another young Badger defenseman to step up and fill his shoes. But who will it be? That depends on who you ask.

"I don't think we have anyone coming in that has that level," said Eaves on replacing his talented defenseman. "I think we're going [to replace Schultz] by committee."

Schultz had a more direct answer. "Next year if I'm not here-Frankie Simonelli. He's got a great shot and he can definitely put up some big numbers."

We may not know who's next yet, but we do know that Wisconsin has put a stamp on generating some of hockey's top offensive blue liners.