Madison Housing Committee rejects proposed nuisance party ordinance

Madison’s Housing Committee voted Wednesday to reject an ordinance aimed at curbing nuisance parties.

Many committee members raised concerns regarding the effectiveness of some aspects of the ordinance, and ultimately rejected it in a six to three vote.

Some members, including Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, questioned a requirement that police and landlords, but not tenants, meet when a nuisance party occurs.

“I don’t understand how the landlord, who doesn’t know what’s going on with his property, is going to get seated in front of the police and say, ‘Don’t worry, I can get my tenants to behave for you,’” said Maniaci.

Members also debated the ordinance’s intentions, with some saying it would unfairly impact student renters.

“There have been different slips of the tongue between the words ‘tenant’ and ‘student’ over and over again.  It’s targeted against students,” said Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8.

Ordinance sponsor Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 9, defended his proposal.

“This is about protecting health, safety and welfare. This is not about going after students,” he said.

Nonetheless, city alcohol policy coordinator Mark Woulf noted he preferred to see the ordinance in place by this spring’s Mifflin Street block party.

Other committee members clashed over the requirement that landlords evict tenants or be subject to fines after a property receives a third nuisance party violation within six months. Supporters said the bill held repeat offenders accountable.

“It sends a message to perpetrators that there are consequences to actions,” said Skidmore.

Others were not convinced.

“It’s more or less forcing you into a mandatory eviction,” said District 19 resident Curtis Brink. “It’s all on the landlord… and that is the problem I have with it.”

The Housing Committee’s decision will serve as a recommendation as the ordinance moves on to the Public Safety Review Committee for debate on Feb. 14.