Komen Cartoon

Komen's funding decision polarizes women's health issues

The decision taken by Susan G. Komen for the Cure to cut funding to Planned Parenthood resulted in a severe backlash by supporters of both organizations. Planned Parenthood received nearly $700,000 last year from Komen to conduct breast cancer exams and mammography referrals for women in need. Komen insists that their decision was based on a need to adopt more stringent eligibility criteria and to prevent association with controversial organizations. Planned Parenthood has been the subject of an investigation by U.S. Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., regarding the use of federal funds and to discern whether they are being used to provide abortion services at Planned Parenthood's health centers.

It is evident that the investigation is intended to serve as a roadblock for poorer women to the services offered by Planned Parenthood, especially abortion and contraceptives. In a similar light, Komen's decision to distance itself from Planned Parenthood is indicative of adopting a political pivot on an issue which should be apolitical. Komen could have ensured that its funds were not being used for anything apart from their intended purpose, i.e., breast cancer screenings, by monitoring Planned Parenthood's financial reports and activities. Announcing the plan to sever ties with the grassroots organization led many long-time Komen supporters to stop sending their donations to the breast cancer awareness organization and instead donate to Planned Parenthood. Meanwhiel, Komen ssaw donations pour in from pro-life, anti-abortion advocates who were evidently enthralled by their decision.

In the face of the backlash from long-time Komen supporters and some of its affiliates, the organization was forced to reverse its decision. This has left the pro-life supporters fuming, while the environment surrounding breast cancer research and women's health has unfortunately been polarized. Komen was wielded as a political tool to further the divide on the abortion debate, thanks to the influx of vociferous advocates in its top brass. It is troubling to see an organization that was created to fund research and find a cure to breast cancer, find itself ensnared in the web of partisan politics.

Anurag Mandalika is a graduate research assistant in the Department of Biological Systems Engineering. Tweet your feedback to @dailycardinal.