Election officials will not accept recall review from groups not directly involved in recall effort

The state agency responsible for reviewing recall petitions said Monday groups not directly involved in the recall effort would not be allowed to analyze the validity of signatures.

Wisconsin GrandSons of Liberty and We the People of the Republic, two conservative groups, asked the Government Accountability Board last week to accept their in depth examination of the signatures.

But GAB director Kevin Kennedy said in a memo Monday it will only accept the analysis of recall petitions from those targeted for recall and the organizers of the recall effort.

“There is no recognized process for intervention by non-parties,” Kennedy said.

The groups would check for signatures that aren’t dated, signatures dated outside the circulation period, invalid residency, names of deceased people and fictitious names.

The board will proceed with their analysis, making a reasonable effort to detect duplicate signatures and obviously fake names.

The memo also said that, as the GAB understands it, the groups would continue to put all of the information into a searchable database that will be available to the public.