CollegeFashionista Style Guru Lucy Angel shares her fashion tips and tricks

At CollegeFashionista, we Style Gurus get the fabulous opportunity to report on the street style on the UW-Madison campus daily, which all of us desperately love, but we never really get a chance to share just how cool our fellow Style Gurus are.

That’s why I’m excited to present Style Guru Lucy Angel to all of you. Right now, she is my fashion icon. Lucy is a sophomore majoring in Textile and Apparel Design and Entrepreneurship. Lucy is in her second semester of writing for CollegeFashionista.

On this very day, Lucy is in New York City for the greatest and most sought after event in the fashion industry: New York Fashion Week.

Read our interview below to find out why and to learn a little about Lucy’s take on fashion and style in Madison.

Sammy Luterbach: How would you describe the street style in Madison?

Lucy Angel: Street style in Madison is very classy. It’s not very out there or extreme but still catches your eye. It’s mostly really well put together outfits with a key piece to make you look twice.

SL: How would you describe your personal style?

LA: My personal style is a mixture of very feminine pieces with a touch of menswear. I have a huge obsession with blazers, so my closet is filled with over 20 of all colors and shapes. I love to throw on a blazer to complete any outfit. I am a big vintage shopper and incorporate a few vintage pieces or accessories into every outfit. I lean towards neutral solids like blues, nudes, blacks and grays, but love to play around with bold prints.

SL: When did you become interested in fashion?

LA: I think I’ve always had fashion somewhere in my mind, but junior year of high school I took a fashion design class and it developed from there. I started to sew some things, read more magazines and blogs, and fell in love with the world of fashion and design.

SL: What’s your number one tip for college students to help them remain fashionable?

LA: I understand that it’s very easy to roll out of bed every morning, throw on a Wisconsin hoodie, joggers and head to class, but don’t! Being fashionable doesn’t mean you need to wear uncomfortable clothes or spend a lot of time every morning figuring out what to wear. Invest in comfortable, versatile, go-to pieces that are easy to throw on every morning. Mine are my American Apparel leggings, a tank and a blazer.

SL: What’s your favorite part about writing for CollegeFashionitsa?

LA: Aside from reporting on the great Madison fashion scene, I love all the collaborations CollegeFashionista puts together. We get to work with companies like Ann Taylor, Victoria’s Secret and Steve Madden to bring campus tours and in-store events. I also love planning awesome events with local stores like BOP and Shoo.

SL: Fashion Week starts tomorrow in New York City, and you’re going to be interning there and working behind the scenes! Tell us about how you got the opportunity to do that and what you’re going to be doing.

LA: Words cannot explain how excited I am to be interning at NY Fashion Week this year. Being there has been a goal of mine for some years now.

Over winter break, I entered a competition with FIJI Water, who is an official sponsor for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, to win an internship at NY Fashion Week. I entered thinking I wouldn’t even go on to the next round but instead ended up winning the competition.

I’ll be in New York for the entirety of Fashion Week as a brand ambassador for FIJI Water. I’m getting styled by Topshop later on today to look extremely stylish while I’m in NY (yes, I get to keep the clothes after!).

I’ll be working behind the scenes of the shows, putting together swag bags, and actually sitting down and watching the shows! I’ll also be attending a few social events, so I’m excited to see who I’ll meet.

Overall, I’m just extremely excited and still in a little disbelief that I’m here.

SL: For non-fashion lovers, why is Fashion Week such a big deal in this industry?

LA: Fashion Week is where any fashion lover wants to be, whether it be Fashion Week in New York, Paris, or Milan. It’s where you see designer’s collections for the following seasons and see what trends will be in and which will be out. It’s one of those events where you need to be someone to be there. You need to be invited or be well-known in the industry, so for any little person out there it’s a huge deal.

SL: What shows are you most excited to see?

LA: I’m excited to see all of the shows, of course, but I’m really looking forward to what Derek Lam, Richard Chai and Narciso Rodriguez have in store.

SL: Where do you go for recaps on the shows?

LA: Style.com is my go to website to keep up with all the shows during every Fashion Week. They have a picture of every single look in every collection a few hours after the live show. It makes me feel like I was there watching.

SL: How do you translate the trends you see on the run- way to real life, walking down the street to your classes?

LA: Sometimes I do try to look for similar products to those on the runway. When faux fur vest were all over the runway, I was wearing a really awesome one from Macy’s. Aside from literally getting similar pieces to those on the runway, I like to translate runway trends through their color schemes. When I see two colors that I absolutely love together in a runway show, I immediately go out looking for pieces in those colors.

SL: Why do you think CollegeFashionista is useful and fun for college students?

LA: CollegeFashionista is a fun way to get inspired by fellow fashionable students from UW and 200+ schools. It brings together college students looking to stay in style while going to class, work and extracurriculars. CollegeFashionista also offers great tips and style advice from yours truly and the fellow UW Style Gurus!

Make sure to check out Lucy’s column, “Let’s Hear It For The Boys” on the University of Wisconsin’s page on www.CollegeFashionista.com. Lucy’s column comes out every Tuesday.