Board of Estimates approves downtown neighborhood proposal including plans to demolish Mifflin area housing

City officials unanimously approved a plan for proposed redevelopment in the downtown area Monday, which includes possible plans to construct high rise apartment buildings in the Mifflin neighborhood.

The plan would call for demolition of houses on Broom, West Dayton and Bedford streets, replacing them with apartment complexes.

"There needs [to be] some measure put in place, so that this neighborhood can really thrive," Downtown Plan Director Steven Cover said.

However, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said this would put the community atmosphere in the Mifflin neighborhood at risk.

"Proposing to bulldoze, in essence, the entire Mifflin neighborhood and create high rises meant for professionals and not inviting to undergrads is a mistake," Verveer said.

The Board of Estimates is one of the last city committees required to approve the plan before the Plan Commission sends final recommendations to Common Council for consideration.

Cover said improving living in the city is a key aspect of the Downtown Plan, which includes providing safe, affordable and convenient student housing areas.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he hopes the plan will foster new entrepreneurship, encourage more live music and include a greater number of young professionals in the Madison community.

"My vision for the future in this is essentially [to] have a strong downtown campus," Resnick said.

Another potential development in the Mifflin area is the proposed "urban lane," which is a pedestrian-friendly area designed to create space, underground parking and vehicle access for new buildings, between West Washington Avenue and West Mifflin Street.

The plan also includes a proposal to construct a pedestrian walkway connecting Langdon Street to the UW-Madison campus for increased safety, as well as improving public paths along Lake Mendota between Picnic Point, Memorial Union and James Madison Park.

According to Bill Fruhling, principal planner, the Plan Commission will hold the first of at least four "working sessions" Thursday to discuss the plan.