Bill would crack down on underagers trying to buy alcohol in Wisconsin

Anyone under the age of 21 attempting to buy alcohol in Wisconsin could face harsher penalties if a bill proposed by Rep. Andre Jacque, R-Bellevue, becomes law.

When an underage person attempts to buy alcohol but is denied because they lack proper identification, employees rarely notify police. But Jacque's bill would allow liquor license holders to sue anyone under 21 attempting to purchase alcohol.

"Law enforcement cannot be present 24/7 in every bar, restaurant or liquor store," Jacque said at a public hearing Thursday. "We need a substantial and systemic change to upgrade our efforts to protect our youth."

Under the bill, owners of establishments selling alcohol can refer to security footage and other clues to indentify offenders who left after being denied. The owners would have to prove a minor was breaking the law, and then take it to small claims civil court, where the offender could be charged a $1,000 forfeiture.

The policy would "not replace or reduce existing policies, but would rather supplement those in place against underage alcohol purchasers."

"It seems pretty extreme," said Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Hannah Somers, "Its giving them incentive to fine college students or other underage people."

Jacque referenced similar laws already in place in Alaska and Utah, and said the law has had success in curbing underage purchases in these states. The Alaskan law has a $1,500 forfeiture for offenders.